Drake Bay is a natural beauty which is surrounded by tropical forest on the north side of the Osa Peninsula. The main town of Drake Bay is Agujitas. Agujitas has a population about 1000 residents. There are many kilometers of coastline with rocky cliffs and sandy coves that extend from Agujitas, to the edge of Corcovado National Park, which is described by National Geographic as one of the most biologically intense places on earth. The intensity of the biodiversity is even higher than in the Amazon region.
The guide meets with you in Drake, this meeting is usually made at the hotel where you will stay on the day before at tour, at 6:00 pm to explain the dynamics of the tour. If the guide can not get to Drake on the day before at tour, he will call you at the hotel where you are staying to finalize details. This is because if the guide is from Puerto Jimenez. Sometimes it is impossible for him get from Carate to Drake on the same day to meet with you. So we ask, when you have booked the hotel, let us know. Also please let us know if you want information for accommodation in Drake Bay.
The guide will meet you at the Agujitas beach where boats are ((Do not worry, on the day before the hike the guide will let you know where the boat is located, you will not get lost!) to take the boat from the beach at 6:00 am and arrive at Sirena around 7:20 in the morning. The trip on boat takes approximately 1 hour to arrive. Hopefully you might see whales or dolphins (depending on the season). The boat leaves you 700 meters from the park rangers station where you will leave the extra luggage and prepare to begin the tour.
Then, during the day you will walk interesting trails. There are many animals and plants to see, it also explores the beach, there are two nearby rivers and other secondary forest trails surrounding the station. Then return at night to the station to rest, have dinner and sleep.
You wake up early and walk internal routes in the areas most visited by animals.
You will be exploring other interesting and different ways or you can simply relax on the beach. Then around 12:00 am return to Sirena Station for lunch and take the boat on the Sirena beach at 12:45 to return to Drake. The trip is typically 1 hour. You will be back in Drake around 2:00 pm.
- If your desire is to enter by Drake and leave by Carate, you can do it. But it is responsibility of each customer to let us know if bringing additional luggage to be sent by taxi by land. Just let us know and we will gladly send you the cost of the taxi and tour.
- Keep in mind that this path can be changed or canceled during the rainy season (August – September – October) if the rivers do not allow passing. This is because there are not bridges by this route.
- Always wear rubber shoes or rubber sandals to get off or get on the boat to prevent your walking shoes to get wet and bring a small hand towel to dry your feet.
To arrive to Drake Bay there are several ways:
- One is by direct flight from San Jose to Drake. For flights see: Sansa: www.flysansa.com or Nature Air: www.natureair.com
- The other one is by boat from Sierpe to Drake. You can arrive direct to Sierpe from San Jose by two ways:
- If you come by car, you can drive direct from San Jose to Sierpe. You can leave your car in a parking lot in Sierpe and then take the boat to Drake.
- If you come by bus, take a bus in San Jose (Tracopa Bus) to Palmar Norte, in Palmar Norte take a taxi to Sierpe, once in Sierpe take a boat to Drake. The last boat from Sierpe to Drake leaves at 4:00 pm. For bus schedules you can find on the website www.thebusschedule.com/cr/
- And the last one is by car directly from San Jose to Drake. But the car must be 4×4 and it is only recommended to travel by road during the dry season because, to get to Drake, you have to cross around 8 rivers and the roads are not in good condition. It is inaccessible in the rainy season.
We look forward to sharing this experience with you, and hope that you enjoy your visit to Corcovado with Surcos Tours.