Drake Bay is a natural beauty which is surrounded by tropical forest on the north side of the Osa Peninsula. The main town of Drake Bay is Agujitas. Agujitas has a population about 1000 residents. There are many kilometers of coastline with rocky cliffs and sandy coves that extend from Agujitas, to the edge of Corcovado National Park, which is described by National Geographic as one of the most biologically intense places on earth. The intensity of the biodiversity is even higher than in the Amazon region.
The guide meets with you in Drake, this meeting is usually made at the hotel where you will stay on the day before at tour at 6:00 pm, to explain the dynamics of the tour. If the guide can not get to Drake on the day before at tour, he will call you to the hotel where you are staying to finalize details. This is because if the guide is from Puerto Jimenez, sometimes it is impossible to him get from Carate to Drake on the same day to meet with you. So we ask to the client when you have booked the hotel, let us know. Also please let us know if you want information for accommodation in Drake Bay.
The guide will meet you at the Agujitas beach where boats are ((Do not worry, on the day before the hike the guide will let you know where the boat is located, you will not get lost!) to take the boat from beach at 6:00 am and arrive at Sirena around 7:20 in the morning. The trip on boat takes approximately 1 hour to arrive. Hopefully, you might see whales or dolphins (Depending on the season). The boat leaves you 700 meters from the park rangers station where you will leave the extra luggage and prepare to begin the tour.
Then, during the day you will walk interesting trails. There are many animals and plants to see, it also explores on the beach, there are two nearby rivers and other secondary forest trails surrounding the station. Then return at night to the station to rest, have dinner and sleep.
You wake up early to explore other interesting and different internal routes in the areas most visited by animals.
Is your hike out of the park. You will return by a different way than you came in. You will exit the park through La Leona and ending up at Carate. From Sirena, on the last day of the tour, you begin a hike of 16km to get to La Leona station, which is the actual entrance to the park. Due to tides, weather and the abundance of wildlife we encounter, the entire hike takes about 7 hours from the time we leave Sirena. You will be crossing rivers and walking in wet conditions, so proper footwear is important.
From that point you hike 4km in addition on the beach to get to Carate park entrance.
Once in Carate, you take a collective around at 2:00 pm and bring you back to Puerto Jimenez. The trip typically 1 1⁄2 hour to get. The bus normally gets back around 4:00 pm.
- For this tour is responsibility of each customer to let us know if bringing additional luggage to be sent by taxi by land. Just let us know it and it will be a gladly to send you the cost of the taxi and tour.
- Keep in mind that if you arrive by car to Drake, you can pay a driver to move your car from Drake to Jimenez so you can continue your route. Just let us know and we will gladly send you the cost.
- Also keep in mind that this path can be changed or canceled during the rainy season (August – September – October) if the rivers do not allow passing. This is because there are not bridges by this route.
- We remind you that the hike back from Sirena to Carate at the end of the tour takes around 7 hours, if you feel that this could be too much, you can fly out from the Sirena station to Puerto Jimenez. If you want to include the flight in your route to return just let us know and it will be a gladly to send you the cost.
- Always wear rubber shoes or rubber sandals to get off or get on the boat to prevent your walking shoes to get wet and bring a small hand towel to dry your feet.
To arrive to Drake Bay there are several ways:
- One is by direct flight from San Jose to Drake. For flights see: Sansa: www.flysansa.com or Nature Air: www.natureair.com
- The other one is by boat from Sierpe to Drake. You can arrive direct to Sierpe from San Jose by two ways:
- If you come by car, you can drive direct from San Jose to Sierpe. You can leave your car in a parking lot in Sierpe and then take the boat to Drake.
- If you come by bus, take a bus in San Jose (Tracopa Bus) to Palmar Norte, in Palmar Norte take a taxi to Sierpe, once in Sierpe take a boat to Drake. The last boat from Sierpe to Drake leaves at 4:00 pm. For bus schedules you can find on the website www.thebusschedule.com/cr/
- And the last one is by car directly from San Jose to Drake. But the car must be 4×4 and it is only recommended to travel by road during the dry season because, to get to Drake, you have to cross around 8 rivers and the roads are not in good condition. It is inaccessible in the rainy season.
We look forward to sharing this experience with you, and hope that you enjoy your visit to Corcovado with Surcos Tours.