Drake Bay is a natural beauty which is surrounded by tropical forest on the north side of the Osa Peninsula. The main town of Drake Bay is Agujitas. Agujitas has a population of about 1000 residents. There are many kilometers of coastline with rocky cliffs and sandy coves that extend from Agujitas, to the edge of Corcovado National Park, which is described by National Geographic as one of the most biologically intense places on earth. The intensity of the biodiversity is even higher than in the Amazon region.
On the day before your hike, your guide will meet with you in Drake, this meeting is usually at the hotel where you stay on the day before your hike, at 6:00 pm, to explain the dynamics of the tour. If the guide can not get to Drake on the day
before at tour, he will call you at the hotel where you are staying to finalize details.
This is because if the guide is from Puerto Jimenez sometimes it is impossible to him get from Carate to Drake on the same day to meet with you. So we ask the client, when you have booked the hotel, let us know. Also please let us know if you want information for accommodation in Drake Bay.
Then, during the day you will walk interesting trails. There are many animals and plants to see. You will also explore the beach, and there are two nearby rivers and other secondary forest trails surrounding the station.
Then, around 12:00 am, you will return to Sirena Station for lunch and take the boat from Sirena beach at 12:45 am to return to Drake. The trip is typically 1 hour. You will be back in Drake around 2:00 pm.
1. Keep in mind that this path can be changed or canceled during the rainy season (August – September – October) if the rivers do not allow us to pass. This is because there are no bridges by this route.
2. Always wear rubber shoes or rubber sandals to get off or get on the boat to prevent your walking shoes from getting, wet and bring a small hand towel to dry your feet.
3. To arrive to Drake Bay there are several ways:
- One is by direct flight from San Jose to Drake. For flights, visit: Sansa: www.flysansa.com or Nature Air: www.natureair.com
- The other way is by boat from Sierpe to Drake. You can arrive direct to Sierpe from San Jose by two ways: – If you come by car, you can arrive direct from San Jose to Sierpe. You can leave your car in a parking lot in Sierpe and then take the boat to Drake. – If you come by bus from San Jose (Tracopa Bus Line) to Palmar Norte, in Palmar Norte take a taxi to Sierpe, once in Sierpe take a boat to Drake. The last boat from Sierpe to Drake leaves at 4:00 pm. For bus schedules you can find on the website www.thebusschedule.com/cr/
- And the last one is by car directly from San Jose to Drake. But the car must be 4×4 and it is only recommended to arrive by road during the dry season because, to get to Drake, you have to cross around 8 rivers and the roads are not in good condition. Which it is inaccessible on the rainy season.
For this tour, remember to bring: A water bottle, sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen, camera and binoculars. And bring something to snack on. We look forward to sharing this experience with you, and hope that you enjoy your visit to Corcovado with.