San Pedrillo is the first Ranger Station from Corcovado National Park. It is located 17 kilometers southwest of the town of Agujitas in Drake Bay and can only be reached by boat. There are many kilometers of coastline with rocky cliffs and sandy coves that extend from Agujitas to the edge of Corcovado National Park, which is described by National Geographic as one of the most biologically intense places on earth. The intensity of the biodiversity is even higher than in the Amazon region.
In San Pedrillo station there are mostly primary forests and you can see many birds and some mammals. This is probably one of the best places to see endangered species.
You will visit a beautiful waterfall which is around 1 hour and 30 minutes from the station, where you can enjoy a natural pool in the woods, where you can take a bath during the tour. You will walk through different paths around the station, where you will see a lot of flora and fauna. You will also have the opportunity to see animals such as crocodiles, 3 types of monkeys, sloths, agoutis, raccoons, snakes and hopefully tapir and anteater and a lot of birds.
Then around 12:00 am, return to San Pedrillo Station for lunch and take the boat from the beach of San Pedrillo at 1:30 pm to return to Drake. The trip takes around 30 minutes to get. You will be back in Drake around 2:00 pm.
- If you desire to book meals, just let us know, and we will be a glad to send you the cost.
- Keep in mind that this path can be changed or canceled during the rainy season (August – September – October). This is due to strong tides and river crossings between Drake Bay and San Pedrillo, which do not allow passing. This is also because there are no bridges on this route.
- Always wear rubber shoes or rubber sandals to get off or get on the boat to prevent your walking shoes from getting wet, and bring a small hand towel to dry your feet.
To arrive to Drake Bay there are several ways:
- One is by direct flight from San Jose to Drake. For flights, visit: Sansa: www.flysansa.com or Nature Air: www.natureair.com
- The other way is by boat from Sierpe to Drake. You can arrive direct to Sierpe from San Jose by two ways:
- If you come by car, you can arrive direct from San Jose to Sierpe. You can leave your car in a parking lot in Sierpe and then take the boat to Drake.
- If you come by bus from San Jose (Tracopa Bus Line) to Palmar Norte, in Palmar Norte take a taxi to Sierpe, once in Sierpe take a boat to Drake. The last boat from Sierpe to Drake leaves at 4:00 pm. For bus schedules you can find on the website www.thebusschedule.com/cr/
- And the last one is by car directly from San Jose to Drake. But the car must be 4×4 and it is only recommended to arrive by road during the dry season because, to get to Drake, you have to cross around 8 rivers and the roads are not in good condition. Which it is inaccessible on the rainy season.
For this tour, remember to bring: A water bottle, sunglasses, hat, insect repellent, sunscreen, camera and binoculars. And bring something to snack on.
We look forward to sharing this experience with you, and hope that you enjoy your visit to Corcovado with Surcos Tours.